I've got a super simple & versatile recipe to share. You will always see some variation of this on our weekly menu because it makes a ton, is easy to change according to the seasons, and can be used in multiple ways - below you'll find my fav way to make it a main dish.
This recipe is 100% Spring approved! (in fact, we made it at the most recent Elemental Living Community Retreat!) The base is chocked full of nourishing foods that hydrate, nourish & naturally detox the body. It’s also easy to convert into even more festive dishes!
For example, I added cilantro & jalapeño to the base & used this slaw (sans toppings) for a fish taco night - YALL, it was a huge hit!
When you download the spring guide, you’ll see that sprouted nuts, seeds & beans are part of the deal. Sprouting foods is nourishing to the body right now, as we are naturally craving lighter foods that are easy to digest! If you’re new to sprouting - it’s OK! So was I, until I tried it. :) But it’s waaaaaay easier than you would think and super beneficial. Simply pour water over your choice food & soak for 12 - 48hrs. Then rinse & drain. You can actually eat them “raw” as toppings!
I used sprouted pine nuts & mung beans for this particular recipe, but lentils, walnuts, almonds, chickpeas or white beans could all be delish while providing protein & fat!
Now, back to the Spring Slaw Recipe. As I said, this recipe makes A TONNNNN - you can absolutely cut it in half if you don't think you're house will make it through a whole batch in 5-8 days.
- 1 bunch radishes, leaves removed (save for a smoothie or salad!) chopped in chunks
- 1 head broccoli, riced
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- green cabbage, julienned
- 1 purple onion, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
TIP: For an easy, DIY veggie wash you can check out my youtube video!
- 2 tbl Braggs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbl olive oil
- 2 lemons, juiced
- pinch of high quality salt (like Maldons)
- few twists of fresh ground black pepper
- Sprouted mung beans - (I couldn’t find raw mung beans, so I actually bought a bag of pre-sprouted beans then soaked them for an additional 8hrs before the retreat.)
- Sprouted pine nuts
- Bubbies Sourkrout - (excellent dose of probiotics!)
Directions: Combine all base ingredients in a large dish, pour dressing over & let marinate for 15 minutes (minimum! it get's better overnight.) To serve, just add desired toppings & drizzle a bit of tahini to make it "extra!" :)
Spring Approved Side Dishes:
- Green Apples
- Celery dipped in this AMAZING hummus recipe by Minimalist Baker