by Emilie Maynor
Spring is here and it's time to get moving! In fact, the American Heart Association has deemed today (April 1st) National Walking Day. Let's celebrate together! Just 30 minutes of walking today is all it takes to participate. Break it up into 10 minute blocks or do it all at once - either way, just do it!
Why is walking such a big deal? The majority of us are experiencing physical stress from an overly stagnate lifestyle. JustStand.org indicated that the average American is sedentary for at least 21 hours a day and it’s wrecking our health. The Mayo Clinic even indicated that excessive sitting is as harsh on the body as smoking a pack of cigarettes/day....WHOA.
Since it's difficult for us to find time to squeeze in time for ourselves, here are my top 5 tips to add steps to your day.
1. Listen to a podcast relevant to your career. Thinking of it as professional development may help you carve out that additional time for yourself.
2. Schedule it! Studies show when you schedule physical activity into your calendar, you are more likely to make it happen.
3. Take the stairs. Simple as that.
4. Take a lap around the office or the block while you're waiting for something - documents, a meeting, laundry, kids activities.
5. Have a walking meeting! This is my personal favorite. It's the perfect way to get creative juices flowing.
So, when will you get your 30 minutes in?
Use #EMLwalk to share your walking pics!
Much love friends,