Before you run to the store to snag your last minute Independence Day foods, scan this recipe!
I promise it won't disappoint and will add some delish veggies to your regular holiday BBQ! Your fam will thank you - or maybe they won't, but at least you'll feel nourished :)
This summer salad is nutrient rich and with foods like cucumber in abundance, it's naturally cooling and hydrating to the body - crucial this time of year!
PRE- S: if you want to know more about "this time of year" be sure to download my latest FREE Elemental Guide!
At the last Elemental Living Community Retreat, we gathered around a table to prepare and share this meal. Even the skeptics were pleased with the burst of flavor and how it satiated our starving bellies!
What's even better?
Nope - just about 10-15 minutes to slice, dice & rice.
WHITE BEAN SUMMER SALAD
- 1 large can white beans, drained & rinsed
- (Cannelloni, Great White, Northern or even Butter Beans!)
- 3-4 small cucumbers, diced
- 1 bunch radishes, sliced
- 1-2 broccoli florets, riced
- 1 big handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut anyway!
- 1/2 purple onion, diced
- Pine Nuts (or any other "topper" you desire)
- Prepare veggies as indicated above.
- Drizzle EVOO + Red Wine Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar(1-2TBL of each) over the bowl of veggies, mix well then let marinate for 15+ minutes.
- Add the white beans, mix well & chill (you & the meal!).
Top with pine nuts + Vegan Arugula Pesto when serving.
Note: you can absolutely add quinoa for a heartier salad or top with tuna, avocado or whatever your heart desires - get creative & tell me about it!
VEGAN ARUGULA PESTO
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup basil
- 1 cup soaked walnuts
- 1/4 cups pine nuts
- 4-5 gloves garlic
- 1 whole lemon, juiced
Add ingredients to a food processor & blend on low.
Add water as needed. You want the pesto to be in between a salad dressing & a thick sauce texture.