The Food Babe is one of the places I go for recipe inspiration when I feel like I'm in a food rut. I saw this Lentil Tortilla Soup recipe last week and had to try it out. I made a few adjustments based on what I had on hand. It was a huge hit in The Maynor House. It has so much flavor and is very nutrient rich! I love a recipe that encompasses a variety of veggies & herbs. This one is especially great because you get the complete nutrient package. The onion, carrots and celery are fantastic and full of color. Cilantro and parsley help are great for our detox organs (liver, kidneys). The lentils give excellent protein (13grams) and fiber (9grams). Avocados and an amazing source of healthy fats, too.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) jar crushed tomatoes
- 1/2-1 jalapeno pepper, chopped & seeded (if you like spicy, keep the seeds!)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon pepper, more as needed
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- EXTRA Protein: 1 chicken breast, boiled & shredded
- sliced avocado
- shredded mexican cheese
- blue corn tortilla chips
- a squeeze of fresh lime
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrots and cook until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cilantro and cook 1 minute. Add the lentils (and chicken if applicable), vegetable broth & water, tomatoes, jalapeno, cumin, salt, pepper. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- To serve, place some of the soup in a bowl and top with the sliced avocado, cheese & chips.
Happy cooking, friends!